Exercise can and should be an important part of your cancer treatment plan. Help yourself to work successfully through your treatment by supporting your physical and psychological well-being and improve your quality of life.
The Program Is Designed To:
- Reduce the number and severity of side effects resulting from cancer and treatment
- Regain flexibility and range of motion to sites post radiation or surgery
- Address muscular imbalances resulting from cancer treatments
- Develop, maintain or regain muscle tone and cardiovascular endurance
- Refocus energy from “illness” to “wellness”
- Initial private fitness and quality of life assessment
- Individualized fitness plan incorporating strength, flexibility, balance, and cardiovascular training, including instruction on exercise equipment, safety and form
- Individual programs are reassessed and modified daily, meeting the survivors immediate emotional and physical needs
- Full access to trainers by phone or email. Will respond within the same day.
- Collaboration with your current medical team
- Safe, friendly environment
- Sanitary/Clean anti-microbial workout facility
- Full access to facility on class days
- Final fitness and quality of life assessment with comparative metrics from initial evaluation and establishment of goals for an ongoing fitness program, including specifics to guarantee adherence.
Details: This progressive biweekly class consists of 6-8 participants held in a supportive, safe environment for empowerment, independence, and body control. Classes are held weekly at the Mittleman Jewish Community Center* and are led by a Certified Cancer Exercise Specialist with an Oncology medical professional present or on call during class times to ensure care and safety to all participants.
Who Will Benefit
All cancer survivors from time of diagnosis on through survivorship.
People with conditions such as:
- Poor balance
- Muscle loss/weakness
- Muscle imbalances due to surgery and/or radiation
- Poor joint range of motion
- Weight gain/loss
If you would like more information, would like to schedule a tour of the facility, or would like to begin the enrollment process:
Phone: 503.915.0035 | Email Us
* The MJCC is happy to provide this space for class free of charge for all participants. Fitness membership is available through the MJCC beyond the class dates.
Individual Support Services Available
- Physical Assessment
- Program development
- Consultation in person or by phone
- 1 hour personal training session
- 1/2 hour personal training session
Inpower Fit Friends
We all need a little motivation to exercise every once in a while, Fit Friends will do just that. Inpower will partner cancer survivors that would like to have a partner and friend helping motivate and support them stay active throughout treatment and into survivorship.